Here is Your Answer for How To Maintain Clean Indoor Air to Boost Your Family’s Health
Maintain Clean Indoor Air to Boost Your Family’s Health
Do you always make sure that you as well as your family drink fresh water not only at home but also outdoors? Do you also make sure that the air your family breathes indoor is fresh? If we always mind what we drink, it is also important that we consider the air we breathe. Both water and air are important for our health. As much as possible, breathing fresh air is necessary to keep our bodies healthy. Since we have no control of the air quality outside, we can always make the air quality inside our homes clean and fresh for the whole family.
Indoor Air Pollution
We always think that air pollution is only from outdoors. However, the air in your office or in your house could also be polluted. According to EPA, Environmental Protection Agency, indoor air pollution is one of the five environmental dangers that can affect the health negatively. It is also considered as one of the major health risks. Some houses can be more polluted than the air outdoors which can lead to health problems.
It may not be noticeable but the indoor air pollution is one of the major culprits that weaken the condition of a person. Since you spend almost 2/3 of your day at home, it is important to make sure that the air quality is good enough to keep you and your family healthy.
To make an action against indoor air pollution, it is important to identify the sources of the pollution. Some sources of indoor air pollution include:
- Gases such as carbon monoxide and radon
- Household products
- Mold that already grew overtime
- Pollen entering your house
- Materials like formaldehyde, asbestos and lead
Maintaining Good Indoor Air Quality
Here are some ways to keep the indoor air quality inside your home good and healthy for you and your family. It is obvious that the most effective way is to decrease the amount of contaminants in the air such as pesticides. Opening your windows and doors for few minutes every day allows fresh air to enter your home.
#1 Open Windows for Few Minutes
Before we go further, one of the effective ways to improve the quality of air that you breathe indoors is opening the windows even for only few minutes. Make it a habit in order to exchange the air from the outside to inside. This can lower the concentrations of chemicals such as carbon dioxide. You will definitely notice the difference when fresh air comes in.
#2 Reduce Chemical Pollutants
Chemical pollutants are the main contributors to indoor air pollution.
- Reduce the amount of harsh cleaners that you use inside your home or those with strong fragrances.
- Do not use synthetic air freshener sprays. Those can contain chemicals that are not good for the health.
- Also do not let anyone smoke inside your home. If you are a smoker, do not smoke inside your house and light up your cigarette outside the house. This can also benefit your family from inhaling secondhand smoke.
- Turn on the exhaust hood or fan when cooking to remove the lingering of the smell.
If you already sensed that the air inside your home is getting bad, simply open the windows to remove the odor and let fresh air come in.
#3 Keep your Home Clean
Dusts are everywhere and they start to build up even after not cleaning for a day. Dusty house can irritate the lungs so cleaning your house everyday can definitely boost the health of your family.
- Make sure to vacuum or mop the floor at least once per week.
- Replace the bed sheets regularly.
- Clean the most used things in your home such as door knobs and remote control.
#4 Keep The Level of Humidity between 30% – 50%
Keeping the right level of humidity and prevent the growth of molds. Aside from that, it can also prevent the presence of dust mites. You can use a dehumidifier to control allergens and moisture in your home.
These are the general ways to maintain good indoor air quality inside your home. If you are living in a polluted area, you may consider placing air purifying plants around and inside your house. You can also get your home Air Purifier with HEPA filters.