Hepa Air Purifiers
What exactly is HEPA and its use in Air Purifiers?
First things first. HEPA is not a brand or technology. HEPA is a standard. Any mechanical air filter that meets the specified standard can be termed as a HEPA Filter.
What is the standard?
The air filter should be able to remove up to 99.97% .3 micron size particles from the air. If HEPA was a basketball player then he would basket the ball 9977 times every 10,000 shots she/he was given – :). At the same time it means that smaller particles are also removed but at a lesser percentage level.
Air is pushed against the HEPA filters that capture dust and other contaminants. As a result, there are no side effects of using HEPA filters and are pretty safe to use for allergy and asthma patients. If its genuine HEPA filter, then it will trap mold spores, bacteria and even viruses. HEPA filters may be marketed as True HEPA or Absolute HEPA. “Hepa-Types” or “HEPA likes” generally do not meet the HEPA standards.
If HEPA filter has number quoted (99.97% / .3 micron), then generally it’s the right HEPA filter. What’s this buzz about .3 micron particles? – To put this in perspective, the size of this .3 micron particles is approximately 300 times less human hair’s diameter. Human eyes starts seeing particles that 75 to 150 times larger than .3 microns. Good eyesight test but we are not sure how to test your eyesight using this technique :).
LEVOIT Air Purifier for Home Large Room, H13 True HEPA Filter Cleaner for Allergies and Pets, Smokers, Mold, Pollen, Dust, Quiet Odor Eliminators for Bedroom, Vital 100, 1-Pack, White
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||12.8 x 6.4 x 16.1 inches|
|Item Weight||9.3 Pounds|
- Replacement Filters: Genuine Levoit replacement filters for the Vital 100 are in stock. Search for “B08BC5V6ZF” on Amazon to purchase.
- Ideal for Allergies and Pet Owners: The washable preliminary filter traps pet fur, hair, and lint. The activated carbon filter absorbs odors from pets, cooking, and smoke. Lastly, the H13-grade True HEPA filter captures 99. 97% of airborne particles as small as 0. 3 microns, such as pet dander, pollen, mold spores, dust
- Rapid Purification: With a CADR of 130 CFM / 221 m3/h, the Vital 100 is perfect for living rooms, bedrooms, offices, nurseries, and kitchens. It covers 500 ft² / 46.5 m² in 30 minutes, and 300 ft² / 27.9 m² in only 18 minutes. Maximum benefits 300 ft².
- Compact & Portable: The Vital 100’s compact size ensures it never gets in the way, and the built-in handle makes it easy to carry from room to room.
- Energy Efficient: With a rated power of 55W, the Vital 100 uses little energy, costing only $1.66 per week/ $0.18 per kWh even when being used 24 hours a day.
- Safe & Certified: CARB Certified, FCC Certified, and ETL Listed.
- LED Display: You can easily turn off the Vital 100’s LED display to create a darker sleeping environment.
- Ozone Free: Use your Vital 100 with peace of mind. Levoit air purifiers are always 100% ozone free and never use UV-C light or anion purification methods that can cause harm to the user.
While Wars are a curse but one side effect of war times is inventions. HEPA filter is no different and its first recorded use was for the Manhattan project – A project that drove development of atomic bombs: those dropped over Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Japan.
HEPA filters are good for home use. For industrial strength, there are ULPA filter. HEPA filters are commonly used in conjunction with Activated Carbon Filters that enable flushing out gases and odors since HEPA filters will pass the gaseous air.
One good thing about HEPA filter which is totally counter intuitive. We would think that as the HEPA filter gets dirty, the filters efficiency would decrease. But it’s exactly the opposite way round! The dirtier the HEPA filter, the better it cleans! Wow, your wife would not complain about one dirty thing in the house! Well keep in mind though. Too dirty HEPA filter can become a fertile breeding ground for microbes. Also, too dirty filter will avoid the air flow.
What are HEPA filter made of? HEPA filters are made from a fabric of intertwined and jumbled fibers. The fibers are put together in a random pattern to form a jumbled up pattern. The air passes through this maze and undergoes impact, sieving, interception and diffusion.
What a HEPA filter won’t do? A HEPA filter will not clean up smells, odors and VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds). That is the reason that air purifiers use other combination of technologies such as Activated Carbon filter along with HEPA Filters.
And Yes, By The Way HEPA stands for “High Efficiency Particulate Air” or “High Efficiency Particulate Arrestance.”